The Camerano winery is located in the heart of the "Old Langa" region, within the village of Barolo. Founded in 1875, Camerano is the second oldest wine producer within the commune of Barolo. The family has been producing traditional, classic Piemontese wines for 5 generations on their 22.5 acres of prime vineyard sites around the village of Barolo (15.5 acres planted to Nebbiolo). Their prize vineyards are displayed in their two grand cru, estate-owned bottlings from the Cannubi, Cannubi San Lorenzo, and Terlo crus.
Using time honored, ultra-traditional methods, handed down from one generation to the next, the Camerano family has remained out of the limelight producing and selling wines only locally, at their cellar door, and to private customers in Italy. Truly a family owned and run operation, with the 1995 vintage, son Vittorio assumed winemaking responsibility from his father and the family began exporting small quantities of their wine for the first time. Camerano wines exemplify the very best in family owned and run artisan wine production. All Camerano wines are produced in extremely small quantities.
Produced from extremely low yield vines, the Camerano Barolos spend ten to fifteen days macerating and after fermentation are then aged in old 25, 30 and 50 hectolitre casks. Camerano's traditionally made Barolos are always "young" compared to the other Barolos of the same age, as their wines need time and patience to develop. On entering the cellars, tradition-conscious visitors are immediately struck by the large, oak casks, the equipment from days gone by, and the labels showing historic vintages of Camerano wines. When you open a bottle, a true Barolo, King of all Italian wines, reveals "himself" slowly, allowing a view to the "offspring" of the terroir of Barolo, along with the culture and history of the Camerano family.
Cannubi, also known as Cannubio, is derived from the Italian word for union, which best describes the rare hybrid of Barolo's two distinct soil types - Tortonian and Helvetian - marrying their respective characteristics of perfume and elegance with structure and concentration. The prestigious Cannubi vineyard lies where three communes of the appellation converge: Barolo, Castiglione Falletto, and La Morra. The Cannubi vineyard extends north and eastward, overlooking the commune of Barolo. The reputation of the vineyard has become legendary; with the label of the oldest remaining bottle of Piedmontese wine bearing the name Cannubi dated at 1752.
The entire Cannubi hillside is one of the most prestigious growing areas in the Barolo area, encompassing in total, only about 12 acres. The San Lorenzo vineyard is about 4.5 acres in size and enjoys a southwestern exposure at an elevation of 280 meters. The soil is made up of 40% sand, 40% limestone and 20% clay deposits dating back over 10 million years. The Camerano family has owned parcels in the perfectly exposed Cannubi and Cannubi San Lorenzo since the early 1800s.